Unichat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who Remembers that translation software is a thing?

3 posters

Go down

Do you think Canada is communist?

Who Remembers that translation software is a thing? Vote_lcap0%Who Remembers that translation software is a thing? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Who Remembers that translation software is a thing? Vote_lcap0%Who Remembers that translation software is a thing? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
Who Remembers that translation software is a thing? Vote_lcap100%Who Remembers that translation software is a thing? Vote_rcap 100% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 2

Who Remembers that translation software is a thing? Empty Who Remembers that translation software is a thing?

Post by Arbiter Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:12 am

Okay, so as of June 7, 2017, WhoRemembers, that person who sent a message to Orlov in Russian on page 48, has now returned to the comic. Maybe I'm way behind all of you, but this made me realize that it might be a good idea to, I don't know, translate all of the Russian text in Unichat into English so I can know what it actually said. I don't know why I didn't do this sooner. Translations of all the Russian text I could find are below. Some of it looks like it's going to be pretty important later, so I've marked it with a spoiler tag.

DISCLAIMER: I do not speak Russian. I'm from that OTHER really big northern country that people keep thinking is communist. (No, not Denmark...) If some of these translations look wonky, or if anyone who actually does speak Russian recognizes them as wrong, it's because I used Google Translate. Please feel free to correct the translations, or add any Russian text I missed.

Spoiler:

Arbiter

Back to top Go down

Who Remembers that translation software is a thing? Empty Re: Who Remembers that translation software is a thing?

Post by Xenocartographer Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:51 pm

Scunthorpe and Penistone would become S[censored]horpe and [censored]tone, FYI. That is, if they're not coded in as special cases, which the first, at least, probably is.

Xenocartographer
Admin

https://unichat-comic.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Who Remembers that translation software is a thing? Empty Re: Who Remembers that translation software is a thing?

Post by Arbiter Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:52 pm

Spoiler:

Arbiter

Back to top Go down

Post by CONNECT 1200 Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:13 am

Arbiter wrote:DISCLAIMER: I do not speak Russian.

Lucky you. Putting it mildly, Google Translate doesn't handle complex grammars well.

Well, well, let's see.

Spoiler:

CONNECT 1200

Back to top Go down

Post by CONNECT 1200 Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:19 am

Arbiter wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

CONNECT 1200

Back to top Go down

Post by CONNECT 1200 Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:34 am

Also, on Sonja's name.

Spoiler:

CONNECT 1200

Back to top Go down

Post by Arbiter Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:39 pm

Oh thank God, we finally have an actual Russian speaker in the Russian translation thread! This was getting ridiculous.

Arbiter

Back to top Go down

Post by CONNECT 1200 Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:28 pm

Arbiter wrote:Oh thank God, we finally have an actual Russian speaker in the Russian translation thread! This was getting ridiculous.

Yep, and I'm ready to lend a hand should Xenocartographer need morrre phrrrases in Rrrussian. Hope he can see my e-mail with his admin superpowers.

(And nobody gets hurt trying to study the language. 200 million speakers are enough brain damage for a small rocky planet.)

CONNECT 1200

Back to top Go down

Post by CONNECT 1200 Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:27 pm

Now, there's also a very suspiciously looking name Ivonava.

Might be Japanese, and then should have probably be written "Iwonawa", as no Japanese romanization system ever had any Vs in it. If it was meant to be Russian, though, s/Ivonava/Ivanova/g

(Am I the last sentient on this pile of rocks and iron to remember Commander Ivanova of Babylon 5 fame? We're doomed, Susan. BOOM!!!)

CONNECT 1200

Back to top Go down

Post by Arbiter Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:35 pm

I could have sworn Vampire’s last name was written as Ivanova before. I think Ivonava might just be a typo.

Arbiter

Back to top Go down

Post by CONNECT 1200 Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:01 am

A persistent one if the Unichat search can be trusted. "Ivanova" is found on page 82, 'Checking in with the red team' only. After that, it's "Ivonava" on page 118, 'Red state, orange leader' and the recent p. 138, 'Deicide.'

CONNECT 1200

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenocartographer Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:13 pm

Gods(OfOlympus) damn it. She's named after a one of the most badass characters in all of science fiction. Why the fuck can't I keep her name straight?

EDIT: Fixed. And I'll get the translations fixed sometime, too.

Xenocartographer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CONNECT 1200 Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:35 am

Standing by.

CONNECT 1200

Back to top Go down

Post by CONNECT 1200 Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:46 am

OT; p. 140: s/brancing factor/branching factor/

CONNECT 1200

Back to top Go down

Post by CONNECT 1200 Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:26 am

And "Ivonava" is back in SOTM / Wildcat chat, I'm afraid.

CONNECT 1200

Back to top Go down

Post by CONNECT 1200 Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:16 am

Something's gone very wrong with copypasting.

Spoiler:

CONNECT 1200

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenocartographer Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:22 am

inb4 someone starts speculating about in-universe explanations. Thanks.

Xenocartographer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CONNECT 1200 Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:31 am

My pleasure.

CONNECT 1200

Back to top Go down

Post by Arbiter Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:14 pm

For those of you like me for whom Cyrillic makes your eyes bleed, I made an attempt to transliterate these character’s names into the Latin alphabet. As far as I can tell they’re just proper names, so you can’t really translate them. I give Connect full permission to ridicule me if I did a shitty job.
АльбинаХаритонова —> AlbinaKharitonova (no space between the first and last name because this is Unichat.) Seems to be a woman’s name, but I’m a dumbass so take that with a grain of salt.
АлексейФилатов —> AlexeyFilatov Alexey is, as far as I can tell, a fairly common Russian man’s name.

(Also pretty sure “хуёво” means “fuck”.)

Arbiter

Back to top Go down

Post by CONNECT 1200 Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:40 pm

Arbiter wrote:АльбинаХаритонова —> AlbinaKharitonova (no space between the first and last name because this is Unichat.) Seems to be a woman’s name

That's right.

АлексейФилатов —> AlexeyFilatov Alexey is, as far as I can tell, a fairly common Russian man’s name.

Yep.

(Also pretty sure “хуёво” means “fuck”.)

Rather, "[it] fucking sucks".

CONNECT 1200

Back to top Go down

Post by CONNECT 1200 Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:56 am

Yet another strange name is Gunnery Sergeant Kirigina Maximovna, p. 101. Sounds like the lady's first name is missing here, Kirigina being the family name and Maximovna the patronymic. (Yes, I'm going through the whole text again. It's been a while.)

CONNECT 1200

Back to top Go down

Post by CONNECT 1200 Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:14 am

P. 140 user=Wildcat&arbiter=1&iteration=2&flags=3: s/Ivonova/Ivanova/

(Or even s/Iv.n.va/Ivanova/g through all the files. There's always a boom tomorrow.)

CONNECT 1200

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum