Who Remembers that translation software is a thing?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Do you think Canada is communist?

0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
100% 100% 
[ 1 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 1

Who Remembers that translation software is a thing?

Post by Arbiter on Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:12 am

Okay, so as of June 7, 2017, WhoRemembers, that person who sent a message to Orlov in Russian on page 48, has now returned to the comic. Maybe I'm way behind all of you, but this made me realize that it might be a good idea to, I don't know, translate all of the Russian text in Unichat into English so I can know what it actually said. I don't know why I didn't do this sooner. Translations of all the Russian text I could find are below. Some of it looks like it's going to be pretty important later, so I've marked it with a spoiler tag.

DISCLAIMER: I do not speak Russian. I'm from that OTHER really big northern country that people keep thinking is communist. (No, not Denmark...) If some of these translations look wonky, or if anyone who actually does speak Russian recognizes them as wrong, it's because I used Google Translate. Please feel free to correct the translations, or add any Russian text I missed.

Spoiler:
-"Пошёл в [censored]." (Orlov's address to the "old guard", page 48.) Translates as "went to [censored]", but I think it's more likely "go to [censored]." The exact location that Orlov was referring to may never be known with certainty, but based on the fact that it was censored I think we can assume it was probably Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire, England; Penistone, North Yorkshire, England; Fucking, Upper Austria, Austria; or Dildo, Newfoundland, Canada.
-"Будете ли вы освободить моего мужа?" (WhoRemembers' message on page 48.) "Will you release my husband?" Troubling.
-"Да." (Orlov's response to the previous.) "Yes." Much less troubling. Also, side note, if you actually needed a translator to figure out what this meant I'm kind of judging you a little. Razz
-"Сатирический." (The name of the destroyer Gods tasked Theo with... destroying on page 57.) "Satirical." And if you didn't already know what that meant I'm judging you a lot, because Rasputin flat-out told us.
-"Спасибо за ваш сервис. Я увижу, что вы вознаграждены." (The thing Orlov says to WhoRemembers on page 82.) "Thank you for your service. I will see that you are rewarded." Troubling, again.
-"Да благословит тебя Бог." (WhoRemembers' response to the previous.) "God bless you." Much less troubling, again.
I'm happy to hear that WhoRemembers' situation seems to be improving (especially that whole freeing the husband thing) but I am a bit worried about what "services" Orlov was referring to. Sounds sinister.

Arbiter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Who Remembers that translation software is a thing?

Post by Xenocartographer on Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:51 pm

Scunthorpe and Penistone would become S[censored]horpe and [censored]tone, FYI. That is, if they're not coded in as special cases, which the first, at least, probably is.

Xenocartographer
Admin

View user profile http://unichat-comic.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Arbiter on Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:52 pm

Spoiler:
New text as of page 90: "вестибю́ля-Сатирический" (the name of the channel meta's dad was in.) Translates literally as "lobby-Satirical". Based on context, this seems to be a main channel (a "lobby") for discussion regarding the Сатирический, the ship from earlier. It's likely intended to be used by crew members and people otherwise relevant to the operation of the ship. What meta's dad was doing there remains to be seen, but given what else we know about this destroyer, I find this information once again troubling.

Arbiter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top